Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Incremental Progress

Not much to update yet, but I have gotten the trailer inspected and tagged, and the registration number decals ordered.  The actual GA registration decals arrived as well, so those can go on too when I put the larger numbers on the hull.  I found a plug for the small drain opening in the transom, but there's a screw sticking up internally that blocks installation of the plug.  The screw mounts the then aluminum keel strip, so I'll need to find a shorter replacement or cut that one off flush with the hull.  I think I probably don't even need one after looking at a lot of pictures of Thistles on the water - the bottom edge of the transom looks to run above surface - but I'd rather have something plugging the hole on my first outing.  Just to be safe.

After towing the trailer to the county sheriff's office for inspection it's obvious that I need some kind of rear mast crutch too.  It bounces and moves WAY too much for my comfort, particularly for an hour drive over rough interstates to our normal water venue.  I'm thinking I'll make something that mounts in the rudder gudgeons instead of the type that sits on the rear grate, just so I can use the cover without dismounting the rear crutch.

So...she's almost ready to splash.  I need to beg, borrow, or steal a couple paddles (or I guess I could just buy them.) I need to run waterproof tape around the tank cracks but I'll wait till just before I take her out to do that.  I'm not overly concerned about sticking tape all over it since I've got to do so much work there anyway, but the less time it's on, probably the better.

Hmm.  I guess maybe I should actually take the sails out and hoist them before dragging it all the way to the lake too.  Sail the old concrete inlet of the driveway, as it were.

Say, does anyone have experience with the internal halyard routing on a  gold Thistle mast, per chance?

Here's a little morning dew on the teak for you:

No comments:

Post a Comment