Monday, June 8, 2015

Step The First: I just wanna go sailing

In the last post I came up with a first step goal:

Step 1: Do just enough that you can at least take the boat out for a sail or two.  If you hate being on the boat, no need for spending hundreds of hours of your life repairing the boat.


Here's a short list of what that will require:

  • Register boat (actual registration decals can wait until I receive the reg sticker in the mail as long as I take the documentation that I did register it)
  • Tags on trailer.  Which requires
    • Get TIN tag
    • mount TIN tag
    • fix lights
    • add safety chains
    • get trailer inspected
    • pay for tags
  • fix the port side angle bracing on the forward grate
  • check that the Anderson bailers work and seal
  • Do something about the loose fiberglass on the rails.  Nobody wants to hike out on that crap.
  • get a transom plug?  Not sure they need one as the transom may be above waterline.
  • Find some way to temporarily seal the interior tanks.  All the tanks are stuffed with pieces of Fun Noodle pool float, so I think it would still have enough buoyancy to stay afloat, but I'd rather not chance it since I'm not very experienced sailing.  Some sort of waterproof tape should work temporarily, and I don't plan on dumping the boat. Heh.
  • Find some alternate propulsion.  I use a trolling motor on the other boat when to get on/off dock and if the wind dies, but the traveler setup on the Thistle precludes that. I'd love to set up a single-oar sculling rig over the transom, but the quickest solution is a couple paddles.  And prayer that the wind behaves. 
  • Check the rope integrity on the trailer winch.  
  • Clean the mud & crud out of the boat.  
  • Oh yeah, figure out how the crap to get the mast up and what the rest of the miles of spaghetti in the boat actually DO.

All in all, I should be able to get it out on the water for $100-$150 dollars and a bunch of elbow grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment