Monday, June 8, 2015

The Journey Begins

I got started in earnest this weekend.  Two full days of hard labor ensued, but the Old Dog certainly looks better for the effort.  I pulled all the loose pinestraw out and vacuumed it the day we brought her home.  So here's where I started Saturday morning: (as always, click pics for the full size experience)

            

With the help of my loyal first mate (and Admiral, my lovely wife) I managed to get the mast up on the second attempt.  We tied the spinnaker halyard to a long line and she pulled it up from out in front of the tow vehicle while I stood in the boat and planted the mast base.  All whilst making sure the internal halyard lines made it through the mast pulpit.  Not too bad now that we know how.

Holy Bats that's tall.
(okay, it's only 27', but that's 7' taller than the other boat)


Then I pulled the boat into out front yard where I could reach it with the water hose. I used a high-pressure hose end attachment to spray out the inside which made some small progress but not much.  I then mixed up some hydrogen peroxide based Cove Base Cleaner that my company manufactures for plastic cleaning at the strongest recommended 4:1 ratio.  I attacked the inside of the hull with a stiff bristle brush, lots of cove base cleaner, and all the elbow grease I could find.  It worked amazingly well

The most amazing part was how well the peroxide cleaner worked on the teak (with hard brushing, but still.)  Check out the port side grate above verses this:
 In fact, it worked so well on the teak that after scrubbing out the entire boat interior I launched into stripping the fiberglass off the rails because the rest of the wood was looking so good.

Some of that went easily, and some did not.  It took several hours of itchy arms. The wood rails were in decent shape, although the wood was painfully dry.  Either the glue between the rail strips has long since fallen out in places or the glass pulled it out.  Heck, maybe they just weren't real great from the factory or the rails have already been redone by an amateur like myself.  At any rate, they look better than the glass.

What do you do after exposing dry wood? Why, run to the hardware store for teak oil, of course!

And that's after two coats.  I ended up with three + on everything by Sunday evening. Over the course of the weekend I also fixed the trailer lights, mounted the TIN tag, and added the safety chains so it's ready for inspection.  Getting the mast stepped allowed me to figure out most of the rigging as well.  

                        Before                                                 After 
           



Getting a lot closer to taking this Dog to the lake.


2 comments:

  1. Dave, we have a lot in common. I'm an active cyclist, triathlete, race an e30 in Chumpcar, love the outdoors. How is 2694 moving along? Tanner Shultz, new owner of Thistle and OSYC member. I'm in Macon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanner, it's been stalled in the shop over the winter due to some automotive projects but it's back on my to do list now that things are warming up. Inspection of the seat tanks after cleaning revealed that they were both separating from the hull along the bottom edges. I've started the process of grinding out the old epoxy fillet and re-epoxying them, but it's slow and dirty. Not to mention I have no experience in epoxy and fiberglass. Right now I'm shooting for getting her back on the lake in late summer.

      On non-sailboat topics, do you ride with the Macon group on the north side? I know a few of those cats. And do you frequent the Grassroots Motorsports forum? I'm on there a lot.

      Delete